Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Pain caused by bad sprain in the past

 Sami839 - Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:49 pm

I'm 20 years old and about a year ago I fell down some stairs and injured my ankle badly. The doctor said I had a grade 3 high ankle sprain. I was on crutches and in a boot for quite a while, but since then have been able to walk on my foot and haven't noticed a lot of instability or problems. However, recently I've been noticing bad pain in my previously injured ankle. I'm a server at a restaurant and am on my feet for 3-4 hours at a time, constantly walking. I noticed the pain, and after a while it got so intense I was limping around the rest of the day. Sometimes it even hurts now when resting as well. My ankle doesn't appear to be swollen as far as I can tell. Should I make an appointment with my doctor and is this common? What could be wrong with my ankle and can it be fixed?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:58 pm

User avatar Hello,
First, to answer the question of seeing your physician...yes that ought to shed some light on what you will need to decrease the pain and improve your ability to work.

It ought to be determined if the pain is the result of the previous injury being aggravated or re-injured or if a new problem has developed. Often new problems eg. tendonitis or acute arthritis start some time after a majorly injured joint.

So besides using the same modalities (ice, heat, NSAIDS, decreased weight bearing) to treat the initial injury, see your physician to check the painful limb.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us