Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Top of Foot pain

alixallen - Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:24 pm

For about a month now, I have had pain in the top of my foot. Not close to my toes, but closer to my ankle. When I'm at work and I have tennis shoes on, everything is fine. But when I am not at work and wear other shoes, such as flip flops it swells if I stand or walk for a short amount of time. It hurts very bad when this happens and the pain in very localized. I got a pedicure yesterday and I had to ask the guy to stop because the rubbing on it was bringing tears to my eyes. I don't recall of any trauma to it but I'm wondering if there could be a small fracture in one of those small bones. And if there is anything an orthopedic doctor could do.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:23 am

User avatar Hello,
Without a history of trauma or repetitive use such as running, a fracture is unlikely.
Tendons are abundant on top of the foot and may be dealing with tendonitis.
Other potential cause is specific small foot joint arthritis or a dysfunction with the biomechanics of the midfoot. This could cause pain especially when changing footwear.

You may benefit from seeing a podiatrist who should accurately assess the cause and thus recommend the apporpriate treatment. For now, use ice and/or heat packs, anti-inflammatory medicine (if not contraindicated medically) and gentle painfree range of motion exercises...do these without weight on the foot i.e. with the ankle elevated. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iueNeAkAFo&feature=fvw

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us