Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Car crash, damaged knee

 beachbumm - Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:59 pm

I am a 20 year old female. 6 years ago I was in a car crash, my side of the car smashed into a concrete gard rail and I injured my knee. I didn't have insurance so I never had it checked out. Now years later, even walking the mall makes my knee throb and some days after work it hurts very bad and it swells up, I get a golf ball sized swollen spot right under my knee. A year ago I had XRays done and my family DR said there's nothing wrong with it, I just need to exercise?
My concern is, the pain seems to be more frequent and now, I've developed white marks on my knee, looks almost like scars, and the skin and muscle is very very sensitive. It burns to even rest my arm on it. What's going on here? Do I need to go in and have more XRays done??
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:52 am

User avatar Hello,
X-rays show bony abnormalities but not the best to visualize soft tissue (muscles, ligaments, cartilage). So MRI instead may be indicated.
Also, with all the symptoms, you may benefit from specific exercises, hot and cold essence - some physical therapy.
The swelling and tenderness may be the result of an inflamed bursa (slippery fluid filled sac) of the knee - there are several bursa at the knee.
Also, the patellafemoral joint may have been damaged...the under-surface of the knee cap. This is a common site of motor vehicle injury as the knee hits the dashboard.

All in all, ask your physician about the need for anti inflammatory medicine, MRI and Physical Therapy.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us