Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Back and Shoulder Pain due to Breasts

 seiboob - Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:40 am

I am 21, 5'3" and have size 36G breats. I have had big boobs since I can remember and suffer with bad back and shoulder pains. I have been considering a breast reduction for years now and finally feel I am ready to go ahead. The skin underneath my breasts has turned shiny which I dnt think is good and the strain on my back is too much to handle anymore, I find it hard to execise because of the pain it causes. Would I be eligable to have a reduction on NHS? and how do I go about arranging this?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:57 pm

User avatar Hi,
Because a majority of breast reductions are often done for improving appearance rather than for health-related reasons, it is not normally available on the National Health Service (NHS), which is the publicly funded healthcare system in the United Kingdom.

Unlike the procedure of breast enlargement (augmentation) surgery (which is considered strictly as a cosmetic procedure), breast reduction surgery is offered through the NHS due to the fact that overly large breasts are capable of causing morbidity(physical and psychological distress).

For one to qualify for breast reduction surgery through the NHS, the following criteria must be met.
- first, one must be referred by their GP to a specialist plastic surgeon,
- have a consultation with the plastic surgeon and
- be assessed by a psychiatrist or psychologist.

The final decision is usually reached at a meeting by a panel run by your primary care trust (PCT). The panel will take into account the overall information from your assessments and review your individual case.

If the panel concludes that your physical or psychological well-being is being directly affected by the size of your breasts and that there is enough social, physical or psychological benefit to justify surgery, only then, they will clear your case to go ahead with the reduction mammoplasty through the NHS.

If you are convinced that your symptoms are mainly, or only due to the size of your breasts, and that you need reduction mammoplasty through the NHS,then please contact your local GP as the first step.
PS: I am not aware of any changes that might of occurred to this protocol of late, but in any case, your GP will be able to clarify.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us