Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Question: Open Lateral Tibial Plateua Fracture

taz0814 - Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:56 pm

Nearyl 1 month ago I had this fracture to my tibia while playing softball. I have been told there is damage (which I can feel) to the ligaments in my knee as a result of this injury. I had the surgery to install 2 screws into the bone three days after the injury but have yet even had orders to have an MRI done to see the extent of damage to ligaments. From researching this type of fracture, I know percentages say that more surgical repair is likely for ligaments. Should I have concern about the timing, or lack-there-of for this area. My questions arose when my friend's doctor asked what has happened and looked surprises, almost astonished, that I had not had more procedures done to this point. Thank you.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:18 am

In general, it is better to have the ACL (if damaged) repaired early rather than late due to the increased risk of cartilage damage from an shifting or variably unstable knee. However, there are some orthopedic doctors who advise against repairing ACL tear if the leg strength especially the hamstrings are sufficient to stabilize the knee.

One of the potential problems with having hardware in the knee and doing an MRI is artifacts may blur the picture of a damaged internal ligament. However, since the surgeon was able to look at the internal ligaments and cartilage during the open fixation, he ought to have a decent look or assessment of the ACL, PCL and menisci.

So check back with your orthopedic doctor and have a discussion about the integrity of the knee ligaments and cartilage to see if there is more surgical repair needed.