Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Broken Navicular Bone Diagnosed 2 mos after Fall

okgirl414 - Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:56 pm

I fell off a curb on June 4, 2010 and thought I had just sprained my ankle (right). I wrapped and put on ice and was careful for about 6 weeks (no x-ray). My ankle kept paining me a little and would stay swollen on the outer part of my foot. I went to my MD and mentioned it to her and she recommended an orthopedist for consultation. He x-rayed and found a small break in the Navicular bone. He has put me in a boot to isolate and not flex my foot. He mentioned the ligament near/around the bone and if I didn't wear the boot I could risk having surgery eventually because the pain would not get better. My question is -- at this late date (I started wearing the boot on Aug 9) how is the boot going to help? I have been walking and wearing normal shoes since the fall, why isolate now? I tried asking the doctor when I saw him, but he was busy and just dashed in and out. Am I wasting my comfort by wearing the boot? I just don't see how this is helping after 2 months since the injury. Thank you.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:30 am

User avatar Hello,
The boot will stabilize the foot so there is no rotation or torsion on the medial midfoot (the location of the navicular bone). As a result the bone will heal better.

Without the boot, there will be too much pressure on the fractured bone for proper healing. This is what has been happening for 6 weeks.

So keep up with wearing the boot.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us