Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Question: Broken Navicular Bone Diagnosed 2 mos after Fall

okgirl414 - Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:56 pm

I fell off a curb on June 4, 2010 and thought I had just sprained my ankle (right). I wrapped and put on ice and was careful for about 6 weeks (no x-ray). My ankle kept paining me a little and would stay swollen on the outer part of my foot. I went to my MD and mentioned it to her and she recommended an orthopedist for consultation. He x-rayed and found a small break in the Navicular bone. He has put me in a boot to isolate and not flex my foot. He mentioned the ligament near/around the bone and if I didn't wear the boot I could risk having surgery eventually because the pain would not get better. My question is -- at this late date (I started wearing the boot on Aug 9) how is the boot going to help? I have been walking and wearing normal shoes since the fall, why isolate now? I tried asking the doctor when I saw him, but he was busy and just dashed in and out. Am I wasting my comfort by wearing the boot? I just don't see how this is helping after 2 months since the injury. Thank you.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:30 am

The boot will stabilize the foot so there is no rotation or torsion on the medial midfoot (the location of the navicular bone). As a result the bone will heal better.

Without the boot, there will be too much pressure on the fractured bone for proper healing. This is what has been happening for 6 weeks.

So keep up with wearing the boot.