Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: what is the effects of a fracture

viciokie - Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:46 pm

What is the possible effects of fracturing the neck vertebrae from the top to number 7? Reason i ask is i did that in a work accident 2 years ago and i keep running into new things it seems that come from that accident. Also can a balance nerve be covered by bone during the healing process? I have a severe balance problem when exposed to noise and vibrations and it was suggested that a nerve might have been covered up during healing. If that is the case can that be fixed and how difficult is it?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:47 am

User avatar Hello,
To best view a cervical fracture both old or new, I would suggest a CT scan of the neck.
Regarding imbalance: yes narrowing (stenosis) of the central spinal canal in the neck can cause imbalance - stenosis if present will show up on CT scan.
Other consideration for imbalance include inner ear syndromes: benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), Meniere's disease and vestibular neuronitis. Central nervous system problems (e.g. stroke or tumor) can cause imbalance but generally cause other neurological signs.

For a full evaluation especially to diagnose properly the imbalance cause, see a physician...but a CT scan of the cervical spine (and perhaps the head) is due considering history of a work accident.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us