Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Backpain in the morning

ShiftyJoe - Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:46 pm

Every morning I wake up with back pain so intense that I am unable to move for the first 10-15 minutes after I wake up. It started about a month ago and often times wakes me up in the middle of the night. I have tried several different positions, none of which actually help. I have resorted to sleeping on the floor, which has worked for about a week but now that pain is coming back again. The pain is usually gone by mid-afternoon with the help of some naproxen sodium.

I am not too sure if a new mattress or mattress topper would be the cure for this or if there is something more serious going on. Once the pain is gone I am able to resume all manner of activities like playing with my children or sports.

I don't have great insurance so the thought of paying a ton of money for tests makes me deal with the pain though it is very intolerable. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:27 am

User avatar Hello,
Start with seeing a family doctor for a basic spine exam which should include range of motion testing, neurological test (sensation, muscle strength,tendon reflexes), posture exam and palpation. Then have a spine x-ray.
Cost is low and should rule out any major pathology.
Treatment will be suggested and usually includes analgesics, muscle relaxers as needed, and therapeutic exercise.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us