Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: frontal head posture

 splume - Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:31 pm

I recently developed a large swollen mass at the base of my neck, I went to a chiropractor, (I've never been to one before) they took x-rays and told me that my spine was reversed, that it was as straight as a rod... and this doctor proceeded to tell me in all her years she has never seen anyone as young as me have this so bad.... she showed me a poster that showed a normal spine, and stage 1,2, & 3 subluxation degeneration... she told me I was at stage two, and I would have to be seen everyday for at least a week. I asked what this leads to, but she just handed me a pamphlet on frontal head posture. I brought this information to my primary doctor, who in turn had me go to the hospital to get what he called "real" x-rays. I did this this mornng.... I have heard nothing as of yet.... but I went back to the chiropractor today and he managed to adjust my neck once, as my swelling is still profound, and my muscles are still to tense to manuvere my head freely. I am scheduled to go back in the morning to try some more adjustments.... What exactly is this disease... can it be cured? how did I get it? what should I do?
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:45 am

User avatar Hello splume,

If you have a spinal subluxation degeneration in stage 2, you may have bone spurs, calcium buildup and arthritis in your neck and I don’t think you should be having aggressive movement done in that area until you know if a piece of spur could be broken off and injure something or cause permanent numbness or paralysis. You should probably be seeing a bone specialist; I think your second doctor was probably right to order another x-ray. If you can, try to hold off on the chiropractor treatment until after you get the results from the second x-ray just to make sure there isn’t anything that can become loose through manipulation. A second opinion never hurts when you’re talking about your body and health.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us