Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Car accident has led to rib pain..

 LibbyDenyer - Sat May 14, 2005 3:55 pm

I was recently in a bad accident, but chose not to recieve medical treatment. I was only sore and was recovering, until a week later when i fell and landed across a toilet seat ( standing on the lid when it broke) I was unable to breathe for a few minutes. Since then the pain is considerably worse and there is a large swell on one of the upper ribs just below my breast. Should I see a doctor? (no insurance) or is it just bruised and time will heal it?Deep breaths hurt, can't cough or get up and down. Please help!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue May 17, 2005 8:59 am

User avatar Hi LibbyDenyer,
Considering your symptoms, this warrants an evaluation. Most hospitals/clinics have programs in place that assist people whom are uninsured/underinsured that's essentially based on income and need. Inquire if one of these programs are in place at your health care facility and go for an evaluation.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us