Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Broken Tibia question?

ChiefBDT - Sun May 22, 2005 5:40 pm

21 days ago I was out in the desert approximately 3 hours away from the closest hospital. I broke my R Tibia approximately 2 inches below the joint. It broke about 1/2 way through the bone then split vertically up to the top of the bone. I was able to find an old camera tripod in the back of my truck and made a splint out of the tripod legs securing it with duck tape. When I finally got to a hospital, about 4 hours later the Dr; put my leg in a cast from my toes to my rear end. After approximately 5 days I started getting "Charlie Horses" muscle pain in my calf. Being unable to move my knee or my foot this pain continued for about 6 hours until I couldn't take it anymore. I went to the E.R. and they promply cut the cast off. Next day they put a new cast on. After 2 days the same thing happened and after about 8 hours I was in tears, and I DON'T CRY, EVER. at 0300 I was back at the E.R. where they cut the second cast off telling me that the Cast Tech. was putting them on too tight. I have not gone back to the Orthopedic Dr. since. I suspect they will just put another cast on and I'll end up back in the E.R. with that extreem pain. I'm wondering what type of knee brace I should buy to support my leg while it heals? I have been keeping it elevated and have never put any pressure on the leg. That said, I feel I should have something on it as it's not completely healed. Can someone tell me what type of knee brace I should be looking for?
Thanks in advance,
ChiefBDT@earthlink.net
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed May 25, 2005 6:39 pm

User avatar Hi ChiefBDT,
I can understand your reluctance to have another cast placed but you honestly should at least consider having your leg in a splint for immobilization. Call your physicians office and inquire if a device can be placed instead of the cast itself....... Just so you know you can refuse the cast tech's assistance and request the physicians......
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 ChiefBDT - Wed May 25, 2005 7:31 pm

Well, here is what I have done. I ordered a Bledsoe Post Operative Brace. It is full length and keeps my knee / leg from moving. I really don't see much difference between this and a cast. Other than the fact that I can take this off in the event that the "Charlie Horse" pain comes back.

Thanks for the help,
Brad
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed May 25, 2005 7:36 pm

User avatar Hi ChiefBDT,
Regardless of whether I agree or disagree with your chosen treatment is of no consequence. I am glad however that you have found an immobilization device that fits your needs. I wish you well and hope you heal swiftly!
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us