Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Herniation at T9, T10 level

Wondering - Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:02 pm

Hi! I just had an injury at work that resulted in a central disc herniation between T9 and T10. I have been seeing my chiroprater and using a TENS unit. I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon in a couple weeks. What I am wondering is what is a realistic prognosis for a herniation at this level? I am far more familiar with cervial and lumbar herniations.
I know that thoracic herniations are somewhat unusual and that at this particular level, a good sneeze, coughing, vomiting, etc. can finish the job on the disc. Will I ever be able to do heavy lifting again? How long before I should expect to see a dramatic improvement in pain free days?

Any responses and/or resources wuold be appreciated! Thank you!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:18 pm

User avatar Dear Wondering,

Thoracic disc prolapse is less common than cervical and lumbar disc prolapse and should be properly managed :
-During the early acute phase Conservative measures are done as follows:
Physical therapy, cold/heat therapy, electric & US therapy,rest and exercises that are prescribed by the specialist that do not aggravate symptoms.

- Long term modifications in life style :
Proper posture, control of weight gain, change job if needed to avoid recurrent injuries.
- Medications and aidslike:
NSAID, if failed steroid injection for intercostal nerve blocks.
A brace is acceptable initially to help immobilization but long-term bracing is a voided.

Surgical decompression is considered in neurologically compromised individual with no improvement after 4-6 weeks of conservative management. Or severe cases from the start.

A spinal physician is the one able to determine if surgery is the best treatment for the patient.

Hope you find this information useful.