Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: broken coccyx

gb25 - Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:35 am

I recently visited a chiropractor due to my lower back pain. After viewing the x-rays, (to my suprise!) he proceeded to tell me I had apparantly broken my tail bone some time ago. That wasn't the cause of my lower back pain, but it did explain why I experienced pain during certain activities such as sit-ups, lying on flat surfaces and raising into a sitting position. He said that a non invasive surgery could be done to straighten the bone into its correct position, but that it wasn't really necessary. Should I just deal with the pain during these activities, or will repositioning the tailbone actually get rid of the pain? :?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:12 pm

User avatar Tailbone surgery is to remove the offending portion, not straighten it, and there is no way to have surgery on a bone inside the body that is noninvasive! Problems like yours are treated with cortisone injections. After a couple of weeks, your pain will be gone. You will have to repeat them every 3-6 months and after a time, you probably won't need them anymore.
 lildunns111 - Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:06 pm

i had my tailbone removed when i was a baby, now im 16 and it is really bothering me, i was wondering if there was any surgery to fix it? plastic surgery?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us