Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Question: ankle swelling and severe pain

skywalkerchic - Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:23 am

I injuried my ankle about 2 years ago when i stepped into a hole. my ankle was swollen and black as was the bottom of my foot. It had a huge ball shape around the ankle and would squish down. I sought no medical help and thought i would be fine. I was wrong everyday alll day i have ankle swelling and pain. It gets red and swells into a ball shape under my ankle bone and onto the top of my foot.I had a xray (3 views) and no broken bones so could this be muscular? It hurts extremely to walk the pain is a 8 or 9 out of 10.
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:02 am

Dear skywalkerchic,

What do you mean by your ankle was black!!! black in color?these days?!

If your ankle is giving you that degree of pain then it hasn't healed properly...have you put it in a cast for 3 weeks following the injury?! Even if the bones weren't broken or fissured,it had to be put in a cast for proper healing of the ligaments and the surrounding soft tissues...or else it might need surgery to fix the ligaments/tendons.

Please take your X-rays and visit an orthopedic for as soon as possible.