Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: broken knuckle?

 karatekid1 - Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:56 pm

Hello, thank you for all the help. well my problem is.. i've noticed that on my knuckle on my right hand(specifically my middle finger) has a ball under the skin and whenever i make a fist it moves around. and if i touch it, it hurts or moves in a direction were ever i push it. my hand isnt really that swollen. and i can move my hand without any pain and make a fist without any pain. the only pain i recieve is if i touch it or mess with the ball under my skin.. the ball feels hard like a bone, and also whenever i make a fist i can see the ball moving, and im really scared i might need surgury. i substainted the injury by hitting wood. please help me thank you
 Dr. A. Saif - Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:45 pm

User avatar Hi there KK1,

Intersting little lump there. it is difficult to give a definitive diagnosis based on what you have said, but it is unlikley to be related to a "broken knuckle". It seems too mobile to be the case, and although you mention an injury, it appears perhaps from what you say, something you noticed without directly relating it to the injury. A hard mobile lump may represent a ganglion. One that moves when make a fist may represent a nodule on one of the tendons in this area. This probably is the most likely diagnosis, although as I say it is tricky to be definite on-line. I would suggest though that if it remains tender it would be a good idea to have it examined by a surgeon. More that likely, nothing needs to be done. If the lump is in the palm, then there is a potentia for triggering to develop...when your finger appears to get stuck. this would require a simple surgical procedure.


| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us