Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Ruptured Lung?? Help

 Panchovilla - Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:32 pm

Hi, I crashed against another guy playing soccer and I am not sure if one of my lower right ribs broke, or that the cartilage at the end of if might have "popped" off, either one the symptoms indicate it is, nevertheless I wanted to ask you if you think its necessary to visit a hospital or Clinic to verify if a lung might be ruptured??

 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:13 am

User avatar Hi Panchovilla,
You should have an xray to identify if a fracture is present. If you are not experiencing signs and symptoms of a collapsed lung such as shortness of breath, chest pain, rapid heart rate, etc., then I would likely not consider this to be a problem.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us