Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Hip Pain

 bboyes21 - Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:59 am

I recently took a hard fall while playing some recreational football. It was 10 days ago now. When I woke up the next morning my hip (I believe would be my hip, or side of lower back) hurt like crazy. It was so bad I could not lift my leg to put pants on I would have to sit down and put that leg on and thenn the other. I also couldnt take big steps or put much weight on that side. the pain went down some the next day but has remained about the same since. I can walk better and odnt have the constant pain but if I take big steps or put much weight on it or even roll over a certain way while sleeping i still feel a pain that makes me cringe a little. Is this something seriious enough that I should have it examined? Or is this just a bruise that will need more time ot go away? My only real concern since the pain is bearable and not constant is just that I worried that it could possibly be related somehow to my previous surgery since that hip is where the bone was grafted from and also my lower back is where my vertebrae fracture was. So i want ot be careful with that as well. Anyone have a suggestion? I assume it to be a bruise but thought it would be gone after 10 days if that was all it was.
 Dr. Russell M - Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:40 am

User avatar Hi!

I would believe that if your hip can take your weight, nothing to the level of a fracture would be entertained. Even so, it would be best to consult an orthopedician in this regard, taking to consideration your orthopedic history.

Warm regards,

- Bill

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us