Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: lump or welp found in lower back

 crackerjack - Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:51 pm

Found a small lump or welp in the lower right side of back. Have to press down and rub to feel it. Hurts mostly when having to get up or down. What do you think this could be? What type of doctor should I see first?
 DJM - Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:45 pm

Crackerjack, I seem to have the same problem. Mine started about 1 1/2 years ago.
I also have a lump, feels sort of jelly-like, and sometimes hurts when pressed. I have aconstant ache that radiates from this area, which goes into my right buttock area as well. Getting into any comfortable position is usually impossible.
I live on Ibuprofen, which only takes the pain away about 30%. When I get up from a sitting position, I look like a cripple. I also have plantar fasciitis, for aproximately the same time I've had the back pain) 1 1/2 yrs

I've asked 3 doctors what this could be and they shrug it off as:
- a cyst
- excersise related injury (I weight train - it REALLY hurts when I do squats)
- swollen lymph gland

No one has offerd me any tests, x-rays etc, or given me a definite diagnosis.
If is is a cyst - I wonder if draining it would help.?
I also have pain in the right ovary area, (which shows up norma on u/s)l. The pain is directly behind my ovary area - but in the back, at the hip area. Maybe this is related??

I have no extended health coverage therefore can't afford physio, chiropractor, other therapy. :(

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us