Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: tail bone pain

laurensmith - Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:52 am

It's uncomfortable to sit sometimes as my tailbone is sore. It comes and goes. There is no swelling that I can detect, although as a teen 40 years ago I had similar symptoms, but with a small, swollen lump that turned out to be a cyst which was surgically drained. I'm healthy and not overweight. Thanks
 Najah - Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:31 am

Hi
you have to consult your surgeon to look for any recurrence of the cyst that had been drained and further investigations.
 nauticaboo - Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:21 am

I'm not a doctor or anything, but I had the same problem. In 1998, I was having pain in my tailbone, and I waited so long that I had to have surgery. However, it was done in an emergency room through a general surgeon, so it came back two years later. I then went to a colon rectal surgeon who completely removed it and it had to heal from inside out (4 -6 weeks recovery time). it was somewhat painful, but I haven't had any problems since. Hope this helps.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us