Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Herniated disc L-5

 DiscoDon - Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:34 pm

I have a larg herniated disc at L5
I have tryed different non-narcotic drugs such as viox and ultram with little or no effect.
My doctor will not give me narrcotic drugs to controll the pain.
Is there any long term effects from the narcotic drugs if taken responsibly.
Do I have a legal right to these types of drugs?
 Dr. Russell M - Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:40 pm

User avatar Hi!

Have you had a neurosurgery consult? Your doctor would be in the best position fo evaluate your pain, and prescribe narcotic or non-narcotic analgesic pain relievers, as the case may be.

Do you have legal rights to these types of drugs? Probably yes if the doctor taking care of you decides that you need them. But I am definite that you have human rights to remain pain-free as long as Medicine can help.

Warm regards,


| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us