Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Hip Replacement for 80 yr old mom

hippie - Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:26 pm

My mom has osteoarthritis in her hip. She is 80 years old. She walks with a cane and complains of pain and stiffness. Her orthopedic surgeon recommended a hip replacement. I'm not so sure that it is a good idea for someone her age. Her health is ok, but I'm afraid that the recovery period would be difficult for her. She lives alone, in a walk up apartment. She can get around with her cane slowly, but complains about the pain. I think she may end up worse undergoing surgery such as this. Any ideas?

Thanks.
 Tiger1440 - Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:00 pm

This would be a difficult surgery for someone of her age. However, once she has had the surgery she will most likely be able to walk around much better and with a great deal less pain. Normally after a surgery of this kind, someone of her age is sent to an assisted rehab facility until they are able to function on their own. When she finishes rehab there is a very good chance that she would walk better than she has walked in a long time, and without the pain. The risks that she would run are throwing a blood clot or gaining an infection at the surgical site. These risks are minimal but they can happen.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us