Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Are all these problems related?

 nauticaboo - Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:04 am

Hello, my story is quite a long one so bear with me:

I am a 22 y o female. When I was about 7 or 8 years old, I used to complain about ankle problems. Back then, I had blood tests run, CT scans, and they even put a walking cast on my left ankle for a while. They never found a real problem, and the orthopedic surgeon called it "growing pains" and said I had flat feet also. I was given custom orthotics (at age 7 or 8).

Things stayed pretty much the same, growing up I always experienced some type of pain in my legs. In 2000 (age 17) I started getting horrible throbbing pains in my shins when I walked (at a normal pace to class - I was in college). Being used to leg pain I didn't really seek help for it. A coulpe months later, I started having stabbing pains in the bottoms of my feet. i could barely walk so I went to the doctor. I was then diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and ordered physical therapy for both that and the shin splints (which consisted of stretching and icing).

The shin splints never got better, so I went to a podiatrist and had custom orthotics made again. Suffice it to say, after a period of 5 years, I've been prescribed therapy, blood tests (to rule out arthritis), bone scan, and MRI, orthotics, and even had the orthotics readjusted and I'm still having the shin pain.

Then about 3 years ago, I started having a pain in my buttocks. It's a dull pain that stays there always, is worse when I'm sitiing, and sometimes is severe (about once a week). I've been th the GP and orthopedice surgeon, have had the same tests as above, and still nothing.

So my question is could all theses things be related, and what could it be? I've been to a podiatrist, GP, and orthopedic surgeon, physicla therapist, and nobody has come up with anything. These seem more like runner's injuries to me but I have never been a runner. For the past 3 years I have been going to the gym regularly (3-6 days/week), but I don't do anything high impact.

Sorry for the long post, I hope somebody can help.
 nauticaboo - Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:03 am

I've also taken medicines (Mobic, arthritis medicines, Aleve, Motrin 500, Tylenol, etc.) and they have not helped either.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us