Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: My son's penis

 myson - Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:20 am

My son was circumcised 2 days after he was born. At age 6 months, the foreskin was reattaching to the head of the penis. The doctor at his 6 month checkup had to pull the skin back and wipe away the dead skin. She then put silver nitrate on the skin that was attached. I was in and out of the ER 3 times, because my son's penis had swollen, was really red, and the silver nitrate was eating sores on his penis. He was still able to urinate. The last time I was in the ER, the doctor had to remove the silver nitrate and that took some skin with it. Six months later, my son's penis is red again. This time I think it is normal. I read that the foreskin doesn't fully retract from the head of the penis until after the age of 2. I want to know if I caused the skin to be pulled away from the head, or if it is normal, and will heal by itself.
 Anonymous - Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:11 am

Well since no one wants to reply to my message, I'll update it myself. We saw a doctor this morning. She said that she didn't know if it would heal by itself or if it was going to require surgery. She thought that it would correct itself, but because she didn't know for sure she sent an e mail to an urologist to find out. I'll update again later.
 myson - Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:25 pm

We were told by the doctor to either wait a year and see if the problem would correct itself, or to go ahead and operate. We've decided to wait. So far, there haven't been any changes. It's been 5 months. We'll probably have to operate. :cry:

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us