Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: 12 month check up

eubajean - Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:21 am

Hi last week i took my daughter to her 12 month check up and was a little confused when the nurse tried to insert a iv needle in my daughters arm for her bloodwork. My daughter was terified and i told the nurse to take the needle out when i witnessed her trying to find the vene with the needle inside her arm.Obviously hurting my child .
I have never heard anybody else having this experience with their babys. Is this procedure normal?
I have to say the nurse had a bad attitude from the moment we entered.
Thanks a lot for your help
 lilysuzanne - Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:41 pm

I think the nurse just missed the vein and was trying to find it without having to reinsert the needle.M istakes happen or she needs some practice. I had it happen to me once at 6 years old, it looks worse than it feels.