Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 12 month check up

eubajean - Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:21 am

Hi last week i took my daughter to her 12 month check up and was a little confused when the nurse tried to insert a iv needle in my daughters arm for her bloodwork. My daughter was terified and i told the nurse to take the needle out when i witnessed her trying to find the vene with the needle inside her arm.Obviously hurting my child .
I have never heard anybody else having this experience with their babys. Is this procedure normal?
I have to say the nurse had a bad attitude from the moment we entered.
Thanks a lot for your help
 lilysuzanne - Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:41 pm

I think the nurse just missed the vein and was trying to find it without having to reinsert the needle.M istakes happen or she needs some practice. I had it happen to me once at 6 years old, it looks worse than it feels.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us