Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: Toddler With Swollen Lymph Node

sewmommy - Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:58 pm

My son will be 3 next month. He was diagnosed with low IgG right after his first birthday. He is not being treated specifically for his low IgG - just treating each infection.

For the past year, he has been on antibiotics 8 times. He had 5 episodes of strep throat and finally had his tonsils and adenoids removed in November.

In October, I noticed he had a swollen lymph node on the right side of his neck. Both our pediatrician and ENT said it was from his bouts of strep throat.

It is now the middle of January and he still has the swollen lymph node. He had some bloodwork done last week. His WBC was slightly low. The only thing that was really off was his sed. rate. It was 30 (I was told that normal was 0-10).

We are repeating the blood test next week to see if it is still elevated.

I try not to worry, but I am concerned about all of this. Does this sound like anything to be concerned about? He will be seeing his immunologist for his regular check up on Feb. 1, but I'd like to have more information before then.

Thanks!
 sewmommy - Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:14 pm

I forgot to add that my son rarely has a formed BM. He usually has 2-3 BMs each day, and they are all soft - and sometimes watery.

Not sure if this could be related or all of these symptoms point to anything in particular, but wanted to add that.
 sewmommy - Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:47 pm

The lymph node that is swollen is on the right side of his neck. It is pretty far down his neck toward the back of his neck. It seems much lower than the lymph nodes that can be swollen due to tonsillitis.