Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: 2 YR OLD WITH A SWELLING ON UPPER LEG

burchb1 - Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:59 am

HI, My 2 yrold grand daughter had a very painful toe, it was swollen , I use some over the counter medication and it seems to help, I think it was a bruised from a tight boots or something. But yesterday she wasn't feeling well and he temp was about 100.1, she was quiet for a few hours but then was her normal self, but she was walking kind of funny but said it was her toe, but this morning, she has a swollen bumb on her upper right leg, exactly by diaper sits on the leg.. Can this be a swollen gland as a result from the toe or can it be from a too tight diaper, she's not complaining of any pain, and she's very good of letting you know if something is hurting, she speaks very well and she's very articulate for her age. Can you advice on what i can do at home to get the swelling down.. a hospital is about an hour or more from where we live.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:05 am

If my guess is correct, this is a severe infection of the toe, with secondary lymph node enlargement, that requires antibiotic treatment.
I suggest you take her to the hospital in order that she may be prescribed an appropriate antibiotic.