Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Vitamin/Nursing Question

WeatherM - Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:57 am

My daughter is 22 months old and still nursing, but only around once per day (and usually fairly briefly). I have put back on some of the weight I lost when she was more frequently nursing, so I am exercising more, and trying to watch what I eat. I recently purchased some weight control vitamins. These vitamins include everything in my prenatal vitamins, plus:

Selenium 70 mcg
Copper 2 mg
Manganese 2 mg
Chromium 150 mcg

I assume with as little as she is nursing, it is probably not a big deal, but I wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any risks in taking this while still nursing. BTW, I'm not thinking of these vitamins as a magic bullet, but am willing to try them if there's no harm and they might help.

Thanks!
Melissa
 MichelleRNC - Thu May 25, 2006 5:16 pm

I would definitly not take weight loss pills (AKA diet pills) while breast feeding. Almost all of these are not FDA approved- and even the diet pills that are still are not safe while breastfeeding- even if it's as little as you describe. However, if your pediatricain say's it's OK- then you can follow his/her advise.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us