Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Deformation

 *LisaG* - Mon May 10, 2004 5:06 pm

My daughter was born with a butt crack that is not Straight.. Is there some kind of Surgery that can fix this...?
 *LisaG* - Tue May 11, 2004 12:29 pm

 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue May 11, 2004 4:28 pm

User avatar Lisa,
I am not a pediatrician. However, I think your daughter should be checked by one. It is important to exclude the presence of other abnormalities. Some may not be as apparent as an abnormal gluteal cleft. Surgery if necessary is usually deferred to later in life when the child has completed physical development.

My best to you and your daughter.
 *LisaG* - Tue May 11, 2004 5:19 pm

She is already 19 and is Embarrassed to talk about it..!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue May 11, 2004 11:58 pm

User avatar Sorry Lisa, I was mislead by the age written in your profile (eighteen) to think she was younger than that. It really depends on the extent of the problem. But, generally speaking.. yes! I think there probably are several surgical solutions to this problem. You are best to discuss this with a plastic surgeon. She has to have the will and desire to solve this.
 *LisaG* - Wed May 12, 2004 9:36 am

Yes sorry i don't know how to change my age in the profile?
Thank you very much for your help.
 *LisaG* - Wed May 12, 2004 9:46 am

what are the scientific words for this problem?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 am

User avatar According to your description the only terms that can be associated with this is "abnormal gluteal cleft". Other terms that maybe associated with your daughters condition will depend on what the underlying cause of this is or if it is part of a syndrome. This has to be determined on examination by a specialist.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us