Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: Possible Blocked Tear Duct 2 year old

spensaid0003 - Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:52 pm

Hi, My son is just over 2.5 years old. For the past 1.5 months (give or take) his right eye has been pooling with tears. Sometimes I can see a stream of yellow fluid in the tears. It dries leaving crusty stuff. I would guess his eye has extra fluid in it 50%-75% of his waking hours. His eye is not red and he seems to be in no pain. His eye is not crusted shut in the mornings. Sometimes I notice his cheekbone is red (at one point I wondered if he had a sinus infection & the redness/warmth was coming through? - he has a fair complection). This redness does not happen very often (2-3 times a week?). I am not even sure this is a blocked tear duct - our primary care doctor thought it might be (over the phone by my description).

I can't find much information on blocked tear ducts in a 2 year old and what the treatments are... can you offer any information or suggested home treatments? I found one site that mentions surgery with some drastic measures (like breaking the nose) or probing.... I don't want to panic prematurely... but I am starting to stress :) We have an appointment with an ophthalmologist next friday. Thanks for any info you can offer!

(no past diagnoses, no surgeries, no meds, & no known family history of anything like this). Thanks :)
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:01 am

User avatar Hi spensaid0003,
The symptoms that you have described sounds consistent with a blocked tear duct (blocked Nasolacrimal Duct/Dacryostenosis).
The Opthamologist will be able to determine the causative factor and generally speaking, massaging or milking the nasolacrimal duct is attempted prior to surgical treatments. During your visit he/she will show you how to do this correctly. Here is a weblink for you to view. I hope this is somewhat helpful.
Click here!