Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Possible Blocked Tear Duct 2 year old

spensaid0003 - Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:52 pm

Hi, My son is just over 2.5 years old. For the past 1.5 months (give or take) his right eye has been pooling with tears. Sometimes I can see a stream of yellow fluid in the tears. It dries leaving crusty stuff. I would guess his eye has extra fluid in it 50%-75% of his waking hours. His eye is not red and he seems to be in no pain. His eye is not crusted shut in the mornings. Sometimes I notice his cheekbone is red (at one point I wondered if he had a sinus infection & the redness/warmth was coming through? - he has a fair complection). This redness does not happen very often (2-3 times a week?). I am not even sure this is a blocked tear duct - our primary care doctor thought it might be (over the phone by my description).

I can't find much information on blocked tear ducts in a 2 year old and what the treatments are... can you offer any information or suggested home treatments? I found one site that mentions surgery with some drastic measures (like breaking the nose) or probing.... I don't want to panic prematurely... but I am starting to stress :) We have an appointment with an ophthalmologist next friday. Thanks for any info you can offer!

(no past diagnoses, no surgeries, no meds, & no known family history of anything like this). Thanks :)
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:01 am

User avatar Hi spensaid0003,
The symptoms that you have described sounds consistent with a blocked tear duct (blocked Nasolacrimal Duct/Dacryostenosis).
The Opthamologist will be able to determine the causative factor and generally speaking, massaging or milking the nasolacrimal duct is attempted prior to surgical treatments. During your visit he/she will show you how to do this correctly. Here is a weblink for you to view. I hope this is somewhat helpful.
Click here!
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us