Question: High fever, whooping cough, pneumonia and seizures

JKF - Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:02 pm

I am now an adult but as a two year old I had the seizures high fever whooping cough and pneumonia and almost died. I was in isolation for five days. I am hearing things about that having these kind of symptoms can affect you as an adult. Is there any truth to this and how might it affect me.? JKF
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:54 am

User avatar Hi JKF,
Fever alone in some instances may cause seizures or convulsions in children and adults. Whooping cough (Pertussis) is a highly contagious bacterial infection in which would explain you being in isolation at that time. This illness may lead to the development of pneumonia, convulsions, etc. Rare or less common complications may include brain damage or in some cases death. If you have not suffered any ill effects from this occurrence from when you were a child, in my opinion, I would not be too concerned.