Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: Unknown sickness

swimmingchick78 - Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:47 pm

I'm 15 and i have asthma, but i have been getting these sharp pains in my chest unlike usual with difficulty breathing. I have also been having nonstop fevers and occasional rashes. I have also been very fatigued which is not normal. The doctors have tested me for many things and think it is Valley Fever but the test keeps coming back negative. And the doctors told me i have a very high WBC that has more than doubled in the two weeks between the tests. Some things I have been tested for that have also come back negative are Mono and Luekemia.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:03 pm

User avatar Your description of your symptoms seems to fit with Valley Fever, an infection caused by a fungus called coccidiodes immitis (commonly known as cocci). Valley Fever is very prevalent in the southwest (Arizona, Northern Mexico, and the San Jaquin Valley in California). Outside of these areas it is much less common.

If you live in one of these areas, this is certainly a possibility. Testing for cocci is a bit complicated. Almost always, during an acute infection, the person will test negative. The test needs to be repeated in 4-6 weeks to see if it becomes positive. This is because it is an antibody test and the body takes a few weeks to make antibodies to cocci. A negative test now and a positive test in several weeks is considered evidence of a recent infection.

There are a few other things that can cause these symptoms as well. Most specifically pneumonia can cause this. Your doctor may want to get a chest x-ray to look for these. Sometimes cocci can show up on an x-ray, sometimes not.

Hope that helps.