Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: the daltonisme

archi - Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:31 am

Hi,
i like to have informations about the daltonisme: if it is hereditaire, and if a daltonisme marry a normal woman what will it be the inconveniance to the children , will they be daltonisme too? and finally where the medicine is about this cases: any medicament or surgery ?
please it is urgent to know about this subject so i will be reconnaissante if i will have a reply...
thanks
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:43 am

User avatar Hello Archi,
Daltonism is the inability to perceive or distinguish certain colors, esp. red; also known as color blindness. It has various forms and degrees. So called from the chemist Dalton, who had this infirmity.
Daltonism is a genetic character which is carried in heredity on a recessive gene on the X gender chromosome.
Therefore women may be carriers of the deficiency and pass it to their sons.
A son to a dalton mother will definitely be dalton too, while son of a carrier mother may have a normal sight.

There is no treatment or cure for color blindness.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us