Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: 2 year old has abnormal eye secretion

foodlion1547 - Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:22 pm

My 2 yr old daughter has an abnormal eye secretion coming from her left eye that started this afternoon. It is like the stuff you wake up with in the morning, but instead of being white or clear, it is bright yellow. I have had to wipe it out of her eye three times in the past 2 hours, and it is more than just a "dot" of it, - I think it is a lot. She is not sick, fevered, and has no other symptoms, her eye is not red, and she is not complaining of it hurting or being bothersome. Do you know what this could be, or do you think she should go to the ER.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:12 am

User avatar I would recommend that you have your daughter see her doctor or go to the urgent care if you cannot get in soon.

I suspect that she has an infection of her eye. It may be conjunctivitis (pink eye) or possibly an infection of some of the associated structures such as the tear collecting ducts.

It may not be an infection but rather a clogged tear duct. Typically, however, the discharge is mostly tears not yellow or thick.

Infections of the eye are often treated with antibiotic eye drops.