Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: post viral rash?

nikki5 - Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:49 pm

Hi there..

I am wondering if someone can tell me how long a post viral rash should last?[

3 weeks ago my 4 year old son had a vomiting bug, lasted about 3 days then he was back to his old happy self.. about a day after he started vomiting i noticed small spots on his chest area, and by the time he had stoped vomiting he had a vew more, well becasue i wanted to make sure he wasnt contagious i took him to the dr who said because he'd stoped vomiting that it was just a post viral rash and meant he was geting rid of the virus..

he seems fine but he still has spots all over his tummy, under his arms, a few in the groin area, some on his back, and the occasional one on his leg.. if i run my finger over them they are slightly raised.. they are not itchy and don't look like chicken pox or measels.. he has had the mmr injections...

I am thinking abotu going back to the dr but as i no nothing about post viral rashes, wonder if it can take a while for it to dissapear?

thanks for any help you can give :)[/img]
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:12 am

User avatar Typically, viral related rashes will resolve within about a week, although rarely they may last a bit longer.

Your description is consistent with a viral rash, as is the timing of it. If it is not improving in the next few days I would recommend he be reevaluated.

Best wishes.
 nikki5 - Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:12 pm

thanks dr chan :)

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us