Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: 17 Year Old Male With Back Pain and Fever

meowmix435 - Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:11 pm

Age/Sex: 17 year old male

Symptoms:
Persistent Lower Back Pain on Right Side
Constant fever of 101, sometimes spiking up to 104, for 6 days
Fatigue
Shaking Chills
Near Fainting
Vomiting

Current Medications: Zyrtec for allergies, Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen to reduce fever

He went to see a doctor on the 3rd day of these symptoms. The doctor recommended drinking fluids and eating light foods. However, he hasn't improved at all. Could this be a virus? What concerns me is the back pain. Is a Urinary Tract or Kidney Infection possible? Thank you so much.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:02 pm

User avatar Did the doctor run any blood or urine tests? This would be the best way to detect infection. The kidneys are protected by the ribcage so the pain of a kidney infection would probably not be as low as you describe here, though pain can radiate to other parts of the body besides the point of origin.

Of course it could be viral but if the fever spikes to 104 I would think more testing should be done to find out why. I assume he isn't suffering from a stiff neck along with this (which could indicate meningitis). I think I would either return to the doctor who saw him or get a second opinion.