Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: My 4 year old son has some behavorial problems

 confusedmom - Thu May 17, 2007 10:23 pm

my 4 year old son has some behavorial problems , and now he has done something realy bad and i don't know what to do, my husband caught him putting his fingure in our 2 year olds butt. and we are scared to tell a doctor or counselor ,we are good parents and we know how it is now end days , and we are so scared for him and our 2 year old, not only that he has cut our kittens wiskers off on one side while i was in the bathroom for 2 minutes i don't know what to do and who to go to with out my kids getting taken away because off his actions we are so scared please someone help ....
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri May 18, 2007 11:51 am

User avatar I think you are wise to be concerned because the earlier you can get help for your son, the more likely that he can be helped. I would recommend a pediatric mental health specialist. Since I don't know your situation I don't know what options you have but you could see a therapist. I would recommend someone who deals with children. Is there any possibility your son may have ever been abused? Keep in mind, these things sometimes happen even in situations you believe are perfectly safe. Ask your child if he has ever been touched by anyone in the area covered by his underwear - that kind of thing. Don't act shocked, but keep it as matter-of-fact as you can.

Your parenting should not be called into question unless you have done something to harm your child (if you have any issues, you could also seek mental health care). If there is an adult or even an older child who is abusing your child, authorities should be notified but just because your child has behavior problems doesn't mean you are a bad parent. These symptoms can indicate some psychological problems but these things often have a physiological or psychological basis and are not the fault of parents who are trying to do their best. Your therapist might also be able to get you in touch with some possible classes, etc. so I do hope you will be able to find this resource.

There are behavior therapy units associated with children's hospitals, schools, and clinics. Something like this might eventually be helpful as well.

Let us know if we can do more.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us