Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: Lump on my sons head

Mom28 - Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:52 pm

My 30 month old son has about a dime size lump on the back of his head. I noticed it a week ago. It is hard and does not move easily under the skin. There is no skin lacerations or bruising around the lump.

Any idea on what this could be??

I do plan on taking him to the doctor, but our appointment isnt until Wed.

Thank you!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:56 pm

User avatar You are probably noticing an enlarged lymph node. Another possibility is a lump from an unwitnessed fall. Your doctor should be able to tell you what it is.

Lumps such as this are very rarely dangerous.

Mom28 - Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:32 am

I truely appreciate your response, thank you.

As a mother to 8 children, I have dealt with many bumps on the head, and his lump feels more like a rock underneath his skin. I have never seen a bump like that before after a fall. I wasnt sure if it could be from a fall with the way it felt. Wouldn't the lump have reduced in size by now?

What scares me the most is that he has a history of severe developmental delays and was wondering if he maybe had lumps in other places that could be the cause of his delays. Just a paranoid mother thought process!

Again thank you for your time!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:41 pm

User avatar I think it is unlikely that this lump and his developmental delays are related. That being said, there are a few rare things that can present with skin findings and developmental issues/seizures.

Most of these present more with skin color changes rather than lumps.

A lump from trauma would normally be decreasing over the week; however, occasionally these lumps can become calcified and remain enlarged.