Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Lump on my sons head

Mom28 - Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:52 pm

My 30 month old son has about a dime size lump on the back of his head. I noticed it a week ago. It is hard and does not move easily under the skin. There is no skin lacerations or bruising around the lump.

Any idea on what this could be??

I do plan on taking him to the doctor, but our appointment isnt until Wed.

Thank you!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:56 pm

User avatar You are probably noticing an enlarged lymph node. Another possibility is a lump from an unwitnessed fall. Your doctor should be able to tell you what it is.

Lumps such as this are very rarely dangerous.

Best wishes.
 Mom28 - Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:32 am

I truely appreciate your response, thank you.

As a mother to 8 children, I have dealt with many bumps on the head, and his lump feels more like a rock underneath his skin. I have never seen a bump like that before after a fall. I wasnt sure if it could be from a fall with the way it felt. Wouldn't the lump have reduced in size by now?

What scares me the most is that he has a history of severe developmental delays and was wondering if he maybe had lumps in other places that could be the cause of his delays. Just a paranoid mother thought process!

Again thank you for your time!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:41 pm

User avatar I think it is unlikely that this lump and his developmental delays are related. That being said, there are a few rare things that can present with skin findings and developmental issues/seizures.

Most of these present more with skin color changes rather than lumps.

A lump from trauma would normally be decreasing over the week; however, occasionally these lumps can become calcified and remain enlarged.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us