Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: 9 year old. lump in abdomen.

mumsnmbr1 - Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:06 pm

I have a 9 year old son. He found a lump in his abdomen about the size of a pea. It is located more above his hip bone on left side. I took him to the doctor and she did cbc (?) bloodwork. We have appt. on Friday for ultrasound. With his bloody nose's he's been having and the lump she had mentioned Leukemia. Fortunately, we got positive results from bloodwork today. Everything is fine. My question is can he still have a cancer with bloodwork coming back fine? What could be a cause of the lump?
I really thank you for your time.
He is on no medications.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:32 pm

User avatar Hi Mumsnmbr1,

The CBC is a decent screening test for leukemia. It is not perfect, nor does it screen for all types of childhood cancers. So, it is still a possibility that there is a cancer.

That being said, I think the chances are quite low. Most likely your child may be feeling a lymph node or possibly a lipoma (a benign fat cell tumor).

The ultrasound should be helpful in better characterizing the mass. If there is still suspicion, a small biopsy can be done to definitively determine what the mass is.

Best wishes. Keep us updated if you don't mind.