Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: gross motor skills / ataxia / celiac

floridamom - Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:51 am

My daughter, age 7, has terrible problems with coordination. She still cannot ride a bike, even with training wheels, and even after hours of instruction. Her walk varies, but she often walks very much like Captain Jack Sparrow from the Pirates of the Carribean movies - drunken stumbling, weaving, and bumping on walls, doorframes, and furniture like a pinball.

She meets the clinical criteria for hyperactivity, but doesn't seem to be hampered in school, so is receiving no tx. She also has celiac disease, and has been on a gluten free diet for over a year. Her growth in on track- 50th percentile weight, 25th percentile height- and she is otherwise a happy, healthy and (extremely) energetic girl.

It is difficult to count the many times she falls in a day. A recent attempt at riding a scooter was almost comical, except for the number of injuries involved, and I am growing increasingly concerned about ataxia. I am wondering 1) if her lack of coordination still falls withing the normal range, and 2) if any of this could be related to her CD.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:10 pm

User avatar Hi Floridamom,

I do not think this is related to her celiac disease directly, although there are a few studies indicating that those with gluten sensitivities may also be more prone to ataxia (without a causal relationship).

There are other causes of ataxia as well. From what you are describing to me I do not think this is within "normal" dyscoordination problems.

I would recommend she see her doctor for a formal evaluation. She may need to see a neurologist as well.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us