Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: Prednisolone 6.6ml for a 2 year old

BATCThomas - Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:36 am

I have a 2 year old daughter and she was prescribed 6.6ml of prednisolone for what they call pediatric asthma. I thought this soulded like a high dose. There is no history of asthma in either of our famalies.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:44 pm

User avatar Hi BATCThomas,

Prednisolone is a very common medication to use for an asthma flare. It typically is dosed at a range of 1-2 millograms per kilogram per day. Some pulmonologists will push the dose up to 4 mg/kg/day.

Double check the strength of the solution to verify that I am correct but typically prednisolone syrup is a concentration of 15mg/5 ml's (or 3 mg/ml). If this is correct 6.6ml would be 19.8mg.

I don't know your daughter's weight so I'll leave the rest of the calculations to you. Pounds can be converted to kilograms by dividing her weight in pounds by 2.2.

I hope this helps some. Let us know if you still have questions about this. Also, if you are concerned the dose is too much you should contact her doctor to verify it. Medication errors do occur occasionally (despite the multiple safety checks) so it is always wise to verify dosing.