Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: 9 month old with warm purple feet

mommys - Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:41 am

My 9 month old son's feet are often bright red and then turn purple for a short while before turning red again. His hands sometimes do the same thing. His extremeties are always warm when this happens. He was diagnosed at 2 months with GERD and currently takes Prevacid 7.5 mg solutabs BID. We also live in an area wich is known for lead being present in the well water, though we give him only bottled water. I have polycystic Kidney disease, HTN, and had gestational diabetes. He was born via c-section full term.The pediatrician is sending him to a rhuematologist. Should I request to send him to a cardiologist and/or to have lab work drawn? His appointment is not for another 2 months. Is this something that should have me highly concerned?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:55 pm

User avatar Hi Mommys,

If these episodes are not accompanied by pain I suspect they may be due to simple vasospasms where the veins are changing their tone causing more or less blood to pool in the hands/feet. This is not dangerous and typically resolves with age.

Seeing a rheumatologist is reasonable but it is very unlikely to be a rheumatologic problem at that age.

I don't think seeing a cardiologist will be of much help either; however, the specialist's job is not just to figure out problems. They are also a very valuable source of reassurance that everything is OK. So, if you are concerned I would say it is very reasonable to have the cardiologist see your son.