Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: Medicine label

goldfishmom122 - Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:49 am

My daughter is 22 months old. She has been diagnosed with Reactive Airway Disease. Her father has asthma. She is on albuterol and pulmicort. She still has a cough. Can I give her some cough and cold medicine?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:30 pm

User avatar Hi Goldfishmom122,

Generally the cold and cough medicines made for children are ineffective at stopping the cough. Also, the cough is a protective mechanism to help clear the lungs of all the gunk that builds up in them with an asthma exacerbation. Her continued cough may actually signal insufficient control of her asthma (reactive airways disease).

That being said, sometimes the cough can be so significant that it makes it difficult for children to sleep, etc. The cold and cough medicines are basically safe so it can be worth a try of these medicines. If you find that they really aren't helping I would recommend not giving it anymore.

If her cough is not continuing to improve I would recommend she see her pediatrician again for a reevaluation of her asthma.