Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Pectus excavatum

 Mom32 - Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:43 am

My son is 4 yrs old, and has a diagnosis of PDD-NOS. He has had no surgeries and is not on any medications.
He does, however, have a sunken chest, or pectus excavatum. His doctor didn't mention this to me, but when I asked him about it he did say that he had noted it previously. The doctor also said that if he were going to have any cardiac or respiratory problems as a result of this condition, it would have presented at birth.
I would like to get another opinion about this because I have heard that this condition can get worse during adolescence. Should I press my doctor on this?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:44 pm

User avatar Hi Mom32,

Pectus Excavatum is relatively common. For most people it does not get worse. It simply remains as a small indentation.

For some it can progress, and in some cases it can be quite severe. When the indentation becomes severe enough to start causing problems there is a surgical procedure to help fix the problem. Basically a metal bar is inserted under the rib cage to hold it back in the correct position. This surgery is fairly major and generally is not done unless it is really needed.

I would recommend you continue to follow this. If the pectus begins to deepen you can discuss it with your doctor again. Odds are that it won't.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us