Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: Being near someone who had gastric motility study

skimom - Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:27 pm

My infant is about 9 months old. Is it ok for him to be held/spend the day with someone who had a gastric motility study today? ( I think that is what it is called. It was a test that used a radioactive material in food and the transit was monitored.)
Is there a risk of radiation exposure directly from the person or from objects in the house?

This is a great forum. I appreciate the time you put into answering these questions, Dr. Lowe. I read through the old questions and learn a lot. Your patients and their parents are lucky to have you as their dr!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:02 pm

User avatar Hi Skimom,

I thank you for your kind words.

Regarding the motility study, this study is used to detect intestinal problems. These problems would not be contagious. The amount of radiation used in the test is very minimal. It is safe for the patient and is not a danger to those around. Your baby is in no danger from this study.