Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: My daughter has a rash, allergy induced?

 murphy1982 - Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:39 pm

This morning we awoke to my daughter who right cheek is bright red she has areas of hives located in other regions of her body but the one of concern for me is her cheek it is on her right cheek it is bright red and swollen and hot to the touch there is no discomfort to touch it she show no emotion she doesnt even flintch the reason im concerned is that it is red swollen and hot to the touch can allergies do something cause this the redness spreads around to her neck and ear behind the cheek it is red appears to be raised welts like blotches now the actuall hives are located on her chest her pubic region her lower back my fear of the cheek is infection due to swelling redness and the heat but wouldnt she show some kind of discomfort? she is 3 years old and a healthy kid any opinion would be helpful again I realize that you can not give an exact dx because you have not seen the pt but any advice would ease my anxiety thank you for your time regarding this matter
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:11 am

User avatar Hi Murphy1982,

There are several possibilities for this. The description of the cheek is a little concerning for an infection. Interestingly, infections are usually painful so I'm not certain this is what is going on.

The hives may be a reaction to an infection, a virus or any number of other things.

I would recommend she be evaluated by a doctor to see what is going on. If there is a bacterial infection she may need antibiotics.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us