Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Bump on 15 year old son penis

 annette07675 - Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:59 am

Hello Doctor,

My 15 year old son is uncircumsised, no previous infections or problems. He has noticed for about 7 months now like a air raised bump on the head of his penis on top of the rim. He has no pain, and the bump is the same normal color as the rest of his
head and it is a part the head not on top of it, but like just as if it were air underneath the bump. When he touches it or pushes it he says it feels just like the sensitivity like the rest of his head. No pain what so ever. It is just troubling his mind cause it is always there and doesnt grow bigger or smaller but just shows more when erect. No other rashes, it looks completly healthy. Please give me your thought on what it might be and if its anything to worry about. He says he has only had oral sex once.

Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:32 am

User avatar Hi Annette07675,

It is very likely that this is a simple variation in the skin, such as a skin tag.

If STD's are of any possibility he should be tested. Really, the only STD that sounds like it would fit this is molluscum contagiosum (which is not necessarily contracted via sexual contact). MC is a virus that is spread by skin contact. In the genital region it is commonly an STD but can be spread by other skin contact.

Typically MC bumps are small and have a central dimple. If it is an MC bump it can be treated to get rid of it.

I'd suggest your son have his doctor take a look at this when he's in the office for his next check up.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us