Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 4yr old skin irritation from pool

5556441 - Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:31 pm

My 4yr old daughter spent most of the weekend in a hotel swimming pool, and came home today with a red rash covering most of her body. She is in a lot of pain saying it burns and doesnt want anyone to touch her. I tried to put lotion on and it made her go into hysterics. I don't know if she has a chemical burn from the chlorine or what. Should I take her to the ER (no dr. offices open due to xmas eve and day) or are there things I can do at home to help her? Thanks in advance and happy holiday
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:48 pm

User avatar Hi 5556441,

It is possible that she has developed a reaction to the chlorine or some other chemical. Chlorine can burn the skin but she may also be developing a contact allergy rather than a true burn.

I would recommend she be evaluated, in the urgent care if your doctor's office isn't available. There may be some medication that can help give her some relief.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us