Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: 4yr old skin irritation from pool

5556441 - Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:31 pm

My 4yr old daughter spent most of the weekend in a hotel swimming pool, and came home today with a red rash covering most of her body. She is in a lot of pain saying it burns and doesnt want anyone to touch her. I tried to put lotion on and it made her go into hysterics. I don't know if she has a chemical burn from the chlorine or what. Should I take her to the ER (no dr. offices open due to xmas eve and day) or are there things I can do at home to help her? Thanks in advance and happy holiday
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:48 pm

User avatar Hi 5556441,

It is possible that she has developed a reaction to the chlorine or some other chemical. Chlorine can burn the skin but she may also be developing a contact allergy rather than a true burn.

I would recommend she be evaluated, in the urgent care if your doctor's office isn't available. There may be some medication that can help give her some relief.