Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: Eyes Dilated after head injury

mcolon03 - Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:10 am

Last night my son was running around the house and crash into the kitchen counter. He had a nickel size bump on the right side of his head. Everything he was ok. Later I noticed that both his eyes were dilated. Should I be concerned about this?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:55 am

If your sons eyes were dilated equally, that is probably fine. If one eye dilates and the other not, it is a more serious concern. It is possible for him to have a concussion (like a bruise on the brain from being bounced against the skull). Most of these resolve on their own without problems but can take a few days.

If he has nausea, vomiting, loss of consciousness, visual disturbances, balance problems, prolonged headache or dizziness you should take him to a doctor or hospital for evaluation. Most children will rebound quickly and act normal so if this is not the case, talk to your pediatrician.

It can be challenging being a parent of an active child. Best wishes.
 totaltestament - Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:29 pm

im looking for info on a bruised brain if it gets infection can it kill you how long usually will it take