Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Eyes Dilated after head injury

mcolon03 - Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:10 am

Last night my son was running around the house and crash into the kitchen counter. He had a nickel size bump on the right side of his head. Everything he was ok. Later I noticed that both his eyes were dilated. Should I be concerned about this?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:55 am

User avatar Hello,
If your sons eyes were dilated equally, that is probably fine. If one eye dilates and the other not, it is a more serious concern. It is possible for him to have a concussion (like a bruise on the brain from being bounced against the skull). Most of these resolve on their own without problems but can take a few days.

If he has nausea, vomiting, loss of consciousness, visual disturbances, balance problems, prolonged headache or dizziness you should take him to a doctor or hospital for evaluation. Most children will rebound quickly and act normal so if this is not the case, talk to your pediatrician.

It can be challenging being a parent of an active child. Best wishes.
 totaltestament - Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:29 pm

im looking for info on a bruised brain if it gets infection can it kill you how long usually will it take

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us