Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: Wondering about altitude sickness...

5556441 - Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:14 am

We are planning a trip to Colorado skiing next month and I was wondering if there are any suggestions for med. (OTC or Rx) or things I can do to alleviate the altitude sickness my 4 yr. old is bound to get. I remember my little brother being just miserable there at that age and I don't want to spend our whole week couped up in a condo, I want her to enjoy the trip....Any ideas?? Thanks in advance
-Jaycie's Mom
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:09 pm

User avatar Hi Jaycie's Mom,

There aren't really any great OTC meds for altitude sickness. There are some prescription meds that can help but I would be hesitant to use them in children.

My best advise is to make sure he stays very well hydrated. If possible he should drink 1 and a half or even twice what he would typically drink (but not just straight water). Some water is good but make sure he is getting some electrolytes also.

Also, for the first day or so it is a good idea for him to just rest and not get too active so he doesn't get too out of breath until he acclimates over the first few days.

If he does begin to get sick I would recommend he see a local doctor for treatment.

Best wishes and enjoy your trip.