Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: 6 years old has a blister on her nipple

lola_bart - Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:42 pm

Dear doctor,

my daughter is 6 years old right now. About a year ago I noticed that she has some kind of a lump on her nipple that looked like a breast bud. I took her to our doctor and he said that there is nothing to worry about, it happens to some children and can go away after some time. She was often itching her breast. I always asked her not to do that. A week ago I noticed that her breast bud grew into a bug irritated blister. Since I was able to schedule an appointment to our physician only in 2 weeks I took my daughter to a walk-in clinic. The doctor said that it's an infection, prescribed my child antibiotics novo-lexin and told me to do apply hot compresses to her nipple.
When asked him why she always had an urge to itch her breast, he said that he has no idea. I am going to our doctor in a week but meanwhile I would like to hear a second opinion. She also has the following symptoms lately:
1) tiered by the end of the day
2) wakes up almost every night (happened very rarely before)
3) sometimes she is cold
All symptoms above can be also related to viruses going around.

Thanks,
concerned mom.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:05 pm

User avatar Hello Lola-bart,

Based on your description it does sound like your daughter has a skin infection. Cephalexin (the generic name for the antibiotic you were described) is a good antibiotic for skin infections; however, a bacteria called MRSA is becoming an increasingly common skin infection bacteria and is resistant to cephalexin. If this infection does not begin to improve in the next 2-3 days, or if it begins to get much worse, I would recommend you have your daughter reevaluated to see if there may be need to change antibiotics.

I'm unable to answer the question about itching. Perhaps she has noticed the lump and it has become a bit of a habit to itch it.